An alarming discovery has been made in a variety of children’s makeup products manufactured by the company Claire’s—and now, countless outraged parents have realized they bought them as Christmas gifts for children.
After a concerned parent sent in her daughter’s makeup kit to a laboratory to be tested, it came back positive for asbestos—a toxic substance infamous for its cancer-causing properties.
“I was just trying to wrap my head around how something like that could end up in our home,” said Kristi Warner, the mother of a 6-year-old girl, “you just assume that a children’s product would be safe.”
(above image: just some of the tainted makeup kit products)
After making the shocking discovery, Kristi, along with her boss from a law firm she works at, decided to purchase 17 more Claire’s kits from nine different states and send them to an independent lab for testing.
The results were shocking: every single kit was tainted with asbestos.
“The fact that the majority of the products came from the store shelves within the last two weeks means that there are other children being exposed,” added Kristi.
Claire’s officially responded to the allegations:
— Claire’s (@claires) December 23, 2017
In an updated statement, they offered full refunds “to concerned customers,” assuring that “the safety of our customers and products is our top priority.”
UPDATE (12/28/2017): pic.twitter.com/XO3jCmPyMa
— Claire’s (@claires) December 28, 2017
The company also provided a link with a list of all affected products:
UPDATE: Please see full list of products affected: https://t.co/0gcW2hFV9I
— Claire’s (@claires) December 27, 2017
Asbestos has also been linked to mesothelioma, a terminal illness which caused 32,400 deaths in 2015 alone.
On social media, the panicked responses of parents—who bought or received the makeup kit as a Christmas gift—says everything we need to know about this shocking discovery:
I️ hope you go out of business for putting millions of children in grave danger. They’re going to face big problems health wise 20-40yrs from now due to asbestos in your products! #fraud #abuse
— NATASHA GALKINA (@natashagalkina) December 27, 2017
I bought a makeup kit for my niece for Christmas, i just saw an article about this, I called her uncle to take it away from her but will they be able to return it in exchange for something else??
— JungleJim4322 (@Gisellllee) December 28, 2017
Refund? Oh no, this is considered evidence now. Hope you called your lawyers cause this will cost more than a mere refund. #clairesclassaction pic.twitter.com/GPIjT62Ktb
— Devin Perfect (@DPPlumbingGas) December 28, 2017
Do we need to be worried in the UK? My daughter has one of the 17 makeup kits in question?
— James (@AdmiralPellaeon) December 25, 2017
O…M…G… Are you serious? Do you even have a quality inspection from your buyers? Multiple kits? #asbestos
— meowmix (@juanmeowmix) December 23, 2017
You’re full of it. A company of your size has the money and resources to perform proper quality control inspections. Sourcing products from other countries without testing and due diligence is at best, lazy, dangerous, and definitely negligent.
— News View (@NewsView100) December 28, 2017
This is absolutely shameful and deplorable.
— Change The Topic (@changethetopic) December 28, 2017
Here’s A Great Local News Report On the Shocking Revelations:
Sources: WSVN WJAR