Photo: Ralph Lauren Fall 2016/Winter 2017 (Vogue Runway)
With 1990s inspired accessory trends back in full force, the velvet choker has officially been elevated to a sartorial must-have for 2017. Spotted on the runway at Ralph Lauren, this jewellery trend can be styled with everything from a silky slip dress to a V-neck knit sweater. Often adorned with sumptuous faux gems, dainty choker neckpieces crafted out of velvet are once again cool. We’ve curated our favourite chokers to wear this season, whether your personal accessory tastes lean toward minimalist or extravagant.
1) Dannijo Aria Velvet Choker Necklace, $33: If you’re sporting distressed denim and ankle boots, a simplistic take on this look is definitely in order. This unadorned yet perfectly gorgeous choker will light up any casual ensembles in your wardrobe, with its luxurious deep red colour.
2) Riah Fashion Chain Velvet Choker, $41: While barely there chokers may be more dominant, chunky choker neckpieces look equally chic. This thicker design features scalloped edges, a goldtone hardware clasp and intricate golden beads.
3) Le Château Gem Choker Necklace, $50: Glamorous embellishment is always en vogue, and this rich violet velvet number is certainly no exception. We are liking the ribbon tie, along with the colourful faux stones which lend an elegant, red carpet ready vibe.
4) Kenneth Jay Lane Velvet Choker, $133: With its inky tone, this black choker almost exudes a mysterious, femme fatale charm. For a finishing touch, the piece is detailed with tiny pavé crystal for a twinkling effect.
5) Dannijo ‘Vix’ Velvet Choker, $187: We are loving the luxurious Swarovski crystal pendant on this thin dark blue choker. The sparkling embellishment contrasts against the navy-coloured neckpiece, which knots in the back like a ribbon.