Photo: dolcetoronto on Instagram
Whether you’re exploring Italy or at home in Toronto, nothing says summer quite like a large, tempting scoop of gelato! While Canadian summers are quite short, we tend to overload on the sweet stuff as we embrace the fleeting escape from wind and snow . Admired for its rich and creamy flavor, this sweet treat is the perfect way to celebrate summer. Even if you haven’t booked a ticket to Milan or Rome this summer, you can always enjoy quality gelato right at home. Here are a few Canadian gelato spots to visit this season.
1) Bella Gelateria, Vancouver: The gelato creations of Bella Gelateria have been melting hearts in both Canada and the home of gelato, Italy. Owner James Coleridge has been seen greeting customers at the door of his shop, explaining all of the different flavours of his award winning gelato. James took home the People’s Choice and Technical Jury awards at the Florence Gelato festival in 2012! The pecan and Canadian maple syrup flavour is most well-known at Bella Gelateria.
2) La Paloma, Toronto: This gelateria has been in business since 1967 and offers over 75 different flavours of gelato to choose from. With various options from sorbet to soy, La Paloma claims to offer plenty of variety. Notable flavours on their menu include tiramisu, banana, cookies and cream and fruity flavours for summer like lemon and orange.
3) Gelaterie Pierino, Montreal: Known for its homemade, fresh gelato, this Montreal shop uses high quality ingredients to create a range of unique flavours, which include Irish coffee, pina colada and orange creamsicle. If you prefer unconventional gelato flavours, this may be your new destination.
4) Dolce Gelato, Toronto: With locations in Little Italy, Kensington Market and Greektown, this gelato shop offers various flavours for gelato lovers to try. With noteworthy flavours such as pistachio, wild berry and passion fruit, there are tons of delicious options. Gelato lovers can try their signature Nutella topping, or take home a tub for an indulgent treat later.
5) Roberto, Montreal: If you’re looking for an authentic cup of gelato, Roberto has been serving Montrealers for decades. This hotspot is known for its most popular pistachio and Amaretto flavours. Guests can also purchase containers of their famous gelato to take home, if you’re in the mood for gelato after you leave the shop’s front doors.